Black & Decker are a household name in just about every kind of power tool you can think of, including belt sanders. The Black & Decker KA86 is a great belt sander for smoothing a whole range of different surfaces. If you’re looking for an efficient sander, you’ve come to the right place. Besides being a great functional sander, the KA86 also has a host of innovative features that work towards ensuring your comfort whenever you use it.
The angled belt design enables you to get much closer in the a corner between two surfaces such as a floor panel and skirting board, leaving a superior, more uniform finish compared to conventionally designed belt sanders. Furthermore, most belt sanders must be adjusted to ensure the belt doesn’t run off the rollers, thus they must be carefully adjusted, which is both tricky and time consuming. No such worries here, the automatic belt tracking system ensures the belt is kept in the correct alignment while working. Crucially this saves you, the user, more time that can be spent productively.
Weighing 2.8kgs, this sander isn’t light but it is extremely powerful and will regularly require the sanding belt to be replaced. Luckily it’s fitted with a fast change lever mechanism to ensure quick and easy replacement of the belt. The automatic mechanism will ensure the belt tracks are true, and the sander will keep running smoothly. In addition, the 720-watt motor provides enough brawn to enable you to finish tasks with minimum effort, and the dust bag helps in ensuring the cleanliness of the working environment. The dust bag is particularly crucial because this type of belt sander is aggressive, unlike other sanders, and it produces a lot of dust.
The 3-metre cable increases your mobility as you work, and for most applications this will be more than enough. The belt of the sander sander is 75 mm wide, which is a decent size to speed up the sanding process, particularly on narrow strips of wood where the sanding belt will cover the full width of the work piece.
- It is comfortable and time saving, thanks to a wide belt, powerful motor and ingenious angled design
- It performs tasks that would normally be considered difficult easily and it is ideal for heavy duty jobs
- Appropriate for sanding large surfaces such as floor boards
- Good for tasks that need great stock removal in a short time
- Gives a high quality end finish
- It is heavy (2.8kg) thus may cause fatigue especially when working for long periods
Users have also raised issues such as:
- The pin that holds the front roller is weak and thus is know to break
- The shape of the sander is not convenient for working around small places; you have to use your hand or a detail sander
Clearly, the benefits are more numerous than the than the downsides with the Black & Decker KA86, however it’s a shame that problems such as flimsy parts have tained its reputation. We’re sure that these problems are the exception rather than the rule, and this is still a formidable bit of kit.>>> Click Here For Pricing & Reviews on Amazon <<<